Sunday, December 20, 2009

First "blizzard" of the year


Week 3/Run 7
1.09 Miles
18 minutes
Jogged 9/18 minutes


Supposedly we were going to get this huge blizzard. But in New England, you don't call the weather until it happens. Although we did get hit with a good amount of snow, I wouldn't call it a blizzard. I woke up to a blanket of snow on everything outside. It looked really pretty. My car doesn't handle the snow and ice very well and the idea of staying inside was very tempting. But there was two issues with that:


1. I had no food in the house. I should have went yesterday but the stores were mobbed!
2. Today marked the start of Week #3 training for my 5k


So I bundled up and went outside to find my car covered in snow. Being the person that I am (last minuter/forgetful) I didn't have a car brush. HOW CAN I LIVE HERE FOR MY WHOLE LIFE AND NOT HAVE ONE! I used to have one in the back of my car but it disappeared. Why I didn't buy one yesterday....well who knows why I do anything that I do. The idea of going back to my apartment looked great.


I was good and cleaned off my car with my hands and a platter I had in my trunk. I got in the car and started to back up. My car was stuck. Looks like it was back inside for me! I tried again and this time was able to roll back all the way. Now to make the voyage to the gym.


On a normal day, it takes 10 minutes to get to the gym from my apartment. Due to the snow and my towns lack of snow-plowing, it took 25 minutes. I was slipping and sliding the entire way. That whole time I thought "This can't be worth it".


I get to the gym and was relieved that the parking lot was plowed. I went inside to find a total of 12 people working out. I felt pretty darn good making it to the gym or I know my training would be screwed up. I am the type of person where if just ONE day gets screwed up, I will just quit. Can't help who I am I guess.


I get on the treadmill not looking forward to jogging 3 minutes non-stop. I already feel like I was going to fail before I even finished warming up. I did the first 90 second jog fine and then it was time for the test. Could I do 3 whole minutes???


YES I CAN!

When I started doing the 3 minutes all I did was just focus on the TV. Paula Deen was making cookies. I just focused on that and not the timer. I just focused on that and the beat on the music. I tried to play something on my ipod that had a fast beat. This helped greatly. I finished the first 3 minutes with very little problem at a speed of 3.9mph. I figured if it got to tough I would bring it down top 3.8mph but would not go any lower then that.

When I did my second three minutes I just focused on the tv again. All I had to do was 3 minutes and then my workout would be done. I played a fast song on my ipod for the last minute and felt alittle cocky. I put the speed up to 4.mph and finished! I felt great!!! I was so happy to complete this day without feeling like I was punched in the gut.

Maybe...just maybe... I can do this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails